Thursday, December 1, 2011

You Have A VOICE--What Will You SAY???

Learning is my love.  Education is my passion.  Books are my solace.  Sometimes I feel as if I have lived a thousand lifetimes because of the places books have taken me and the characters I have met along the way.  Stories speak to me.  When I think of some of my most intimate comrades from my youth, not all were living, breathing companions, but the experiences and connections I had with them were not diminished by the fact that they existed solely on the page and in my imagination.  Even today, my bedroom and living room are littered with tomes of every subject and genre.  Literature allows the opportunity to engage in dialogue with great figures, to travel to exotic locales, and to sharpen the powers of reflection and analysis.  Literacy taught me how to tell stories.  It taught me and equipped me with the power to speak out against injustice and to use my LIFE to say something! Books, fiction and non-fiction, and the reservoirs of knowledge contained within their pages give me a voice and challenge me to consider what I will do with that voice.  I have a VOICE, a powerful voice that has been blessed beyond understanding with countless resources to grow and strengthen.  My recent fourth trip to Haiti over Thanksgiving break reminded me of how strong my voice is.  The country of Haiti, the land of contrasts and contradictions-immense beauty paralleled with utter desolation, forces so many people into silence through illiteracy, ignorance, oppression, poverty, illness, hunger, yet if you look deep into their eyes and take the time to listen to their hearts tell their stories you will hear voices so powerful, so strong, so eloquent and beautiful crying out to be heard. 
I am a teacher by trade and a student by heart.  I am curious.  I do not merely read.  I wallow in the printed word.  I have friends who say “Nerd Alerts” go off whenever I am near.  In light of that, I am currently rereading The Tragedy of Julius Caesar with my English II students, and although I do not usually relate closely with the melodramatic, slightly neurotic character of Caius Cassius, I do find myself connecting with something Caesar says about him.  Caesar says of Cassius, “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous…He reads much, He is a great observer, and he looks quite through the deeds of men.”  Granted Cassius is a jealous, power-hungry conniver, but embedded here in Caesar’s observation is to me a resounding truth—people need the opportunity to be curious, to have that “lean and hungry look,” to question authority, to learn, to think for themselves, ultimately, to have a VOICE and something to SAY!  In Haiti stomachs are empty and needing be fed, but after many lengthy conversations with my Haitian friends, Haiti is also a land of hungry minds longing to be filled with the sustenance of knowledge and learning.  A quick glance at the literacy rates in Haiti shows them to be dismal at best.  According to CIA: The World Factbook, only 52.9 percent over the age of fifteen can read and write.  That number is slightly higher regarding the male population (54.8 percent) and slightly lower regarding females (51.2 percent).  Why these statistics?  I can attest that it is not the result of lack of hunger for an education.  When I sit and talk with my Haitian friends, we discuss Montesquieu, Rousseau, Sartre, Plato, etc.  I traveled back from Haiti this time with a list of books by French philosophers and poets and French language resources to locate and bring back to my friends who are hungry for education and knowledge.  The voices of the Haitian people are strong, but there needs to be more of an opportunity for the youth of Haiti to find their voices. 
Enter two amazing people with vision and passion and above all faithful dedication to lives in Haiti.  I want to introduce you to Mike and Missy Wilson and their story.  My two friends have a passion that is undeniable!  For a person who loves stories, the vision of their lives speaks directly to the heart of who I am.  Mike and Missy have stepped out in faith to address the challenge of changing the lives of Haitian orphans one life at a time.  With their organization myLIFEspeaks (You can discover more of their story at myLIFEspeaks.com.) they are embarking on the journey of feeding the stomachs, hearts, and minds of Haitian youth.  They know how important education is not only to typical children but also special needs children.  The myLIFEspeaks campus will begin with housing special needs and typical orphans in a family atmosphere, and then one day develop into a campus that is beyond comprehension.  Mike and Missy know first hand how important the opportunity for quality education is as they have been active participants in the educations of their three biological sons, one of which is an amazing special needs child, and their two adoptive daughters from Haiti.  Doors have opened for countless partnerships with people from all walks of life to be a part of myLIFEspeaks-- from physical therapists, occupational therapists, and businessmen and women to artists, teachers, and community involvement professionals, etc.  Each of these who have been exposed to the myLIFEspeaks vision, and honestly it is a vision so much bigger than any one individual, have been challenged to address the question, “What is your LIFE saying?” 
For a person who values words and relishes in the truths of storytelling, I want to make sure that not only am I lover of reading stories but that I am also a person who is about having my LIFE tell a story.  I also want to be a person who is about helping others find their own stories and helping them gain the tools to use their voices to SPEAK.  The verse from Proverbs (31:8) that Mike and Missy have chosen to define their passion and vision says, “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed (NLT).”  I want to be about that.  I have a VOICE, and that VOICE is strong because, by no cause of my own, I was born in a land of freedom and opportunity.  I chose to take that opportunity and immerse myself in a world of curious discovery, a world of literature and information.  I have had more than ample resources placed in my path, both human and material, that have aided me along my journey of searching for knowledge.  Now, it is time for me to take my voice and teach others how to find theirs. 
For a decade now I have had the opportunity to help American students find their voices.  This summer, however, I will begin a journey of being able to do the same with Haitian students.  What that will look like, who knows, but I do know that I have two and half months this summer to give people a chance to discover how to use their lives to tell the world their stories.  If you spend any time at all reading Haitian history or Haitian literature, you will discover that the Haitian people have powerful stories to tell.  They have strong voices and passionate hearts.  Through an Internet search of Haitian poetry, I discovered a poem by Prosper “Makendal” Sylvain, Jr., a true artist of written and spoken verse, who poignantly expresses the strength of the Haitian voice and the Haitian resolve.  Please ponder the following excerpt from his poem “I Don’t Look Haitian?” 
Mad I think you may be at my nationality
Are you still upset because we declared we were free
after riding the freedom train to its 1,804th last stop,
upset still because we made the world’s mouth drop…
“Extra! Extra! Read all about it!
Haitians have declared themselves free.
Napoleon and Leclerc embarrassed internationally!
Haiti becomes the original Statue of Liberty!
Extra! Extra! Read All About It!”
We held truths to be self evident before the first shackle,
built an above ground railroad way before Harriet went Underground,
gave birth to Kings and had dreams before Martin,
knew any means necessary before Malcolm,
knew rivers before Langston,
released caged birds to sing before Maya,
tripped egos before Nikki
spoke to American pharaohs like Moses to let our people go,
took one giant step for mankind before any man on the moon,
took the road less traveled before Frost,
married freedom before any other Caribbean nation
and answered the question to be or not to be by being free and being Haitian,
spoke with the same tongue as Patrick did, give me liberty or give me death!
Our minds and our hunger for freedom
were blatant weapons of mass destruction
long before Gomorrah attacked their Saddam
I DON’T LOOK HAITIAN???!!!!
Did I not look Haitian when I took over The Brooklyn Bridge?
Did I not look Haitian on MTV wrapped in a blue and red flag of Ayiti?
Did I not look Haitian when I founded the city of Chicago?
Did I not look Haitian when I destroyed slavery?
There is a VOICE in Ayiti.  It is strong.  It is vibrant.  It is powerful.  It has long history of speaking out against injustice and speaking out for those cannot speak for themselves.  But it is a voice that has fallen silent because it has not had ample opportunity to learn how to shout.  There are needs, great needs, in Haiti.  It has been said that trying to help Haiti is like putting a small band aid on a gaping and gushing wound, but the way I see it is I can find one or five or ten, etc. who want to learn how to use their voices.   Well, I choose to cry out on behalf of my Haitian brothers and sisters the way I have for my American ones.   I WILL teach others how to find their voices.  What about you?  Will you let your LIFE speak?  Will you use your VOICE to speak for those who cannot?  Will you join in with myLIFEspeaks and their vision?  The choice is on the table!

1 comment: